How Do You Pay for a Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Attorney to Represent You in a Workers’ Compensation Claim in PA?

If you’ve been injured on the job and are considering hiring a workers’ compensation attorney, it’s important for you to understand the costs involved before you start worrying about money. If you think a workers’ compensation lawyer is out of budget, not hiring one is going to be more out of budget.

Workers’ compensation cases, like most personal injury cases, are generally handled on a contingency fee basis, which means that many attorneys handle workers’ compensation cases for a percentage of the lump sum offered to settle the case. Your attorney will not get paid unless you get paid. Whatever the arrangement, your fee agreement with your lawyer must be approved by the judge or Workers’ Compensation Appeal Board handling your case.

What is a contingency fee?

Contingency fee arrangements allow all injured workers, even those with limited financial resources, the chance to receive quality legal representation by eliminating the need for substantial up-front payments.

When you need the services of one of our attorneys, the workers’ compensation law states that workers’ compensation cases be handled on a contingency fee basis. A contingent fee means that the attorney’s fees are contingent or payable only if you receive benefits. There is never an out-of-pocket cost to you for attorney fees.

Legal fees generally must be approved by a workers’ compensation judge or appeals board before the attorney collects a fee.

When would you need a lawyer?

  • You are not receiving benefits even when you were injured on the job
  • You received benefits for your injury that were discontinued, and you need to have them reinstated
  • You’ve been receiving benefits but are currently faced with having them terminated or modified
  • You have been asked to submit to a medical examination in order to determine an impairment rating
  • Your employer has talked to you about resolving your claim
  • Your employer has filed a request for compromise and release

Ready to Get Help?

Complete the short form below to get your FREE consultation.