As Americans celebrate the country’s 241st birthday this Fourth of July, Pond Lehocky wants everyone to stay safe and enjoy the holiday. When spending time with your family by the beach, barbequing in your backyard, or lighting fireworks, it’s important to keep in mind these top Fourth of July tips provided by the American Red Cross and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA):
- Always keep fireworks away from children and supervise them when they’re using sparklers.
- Keep a bucket of water nearby when lighting fireworks or when grilling in case of fires or other emergencies.
- If a firework fails, put it in a bucket of water and never relight it.
- Keep your grill outside of your house and a few feet away from the house so that nothing accidentally catches on fire.
- When grilling, avoid wearing loose of dangling clothing that could get caught in the grill and catch on fire.
- At the beach, beware of rip currents that could pull you out to sea. Swim parallel to the shore until you are free from the rip current and then swim towards land.
- While you’re outside, wear sunblock to avoid painful burns and the possibility of skin cancer.
- Don’t point fireworks near a person, a pet, a car, or a building. Light your fireworks in the direction of a clear and open space to avoid potential damage.
From everyone at Pond Lehocky Stern Giordano, we wish you a safe and enjoyable Independence Day!