Short- & Long-Term Disability
Short-Term Disability (STD) and Long-Term Disability (LTD) policies can either be offered by your employer or purchased on your own. If you become disabled and unable to work, you can apply for benefits under your disability insurance policy that can help you to continue receiving part of your salary.
Know Your Rights
STD and LTD policies can be lengthy and packed with difficult legal terms. our attorneys can help clients prepare the strongest possible case. They’ll gather the proper medical records and other documentation and help you avoid common pitfalls.
The Team Behind You
Our long-term disability department is headed by Attorney Michael J. Parker, who has focused his practice on advocating for the disabled. Michael takes his passion and expertise for representing individuals in need and applies it to helping those who are wrongfully denied STD and LTD benefits.
We Can Help
We can assist clients who have STD or LTD policies and:
- Have their claims denied
- Have their benefits terminated
- Have their claims wrongfully delayed
- Are no longer receiving benefits
- Have received a low and unfair settlement
Long-Term Disability policies can be confusing and complicated. Here’s what you need to know:
If your disability insurance is through your employer, it may fall under a federal law called Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA). This law has strict rules for how you need to apply for benefits or file an appeal. It also affects your chances of approval.
Unfortunately, many first-time claims are denied. The claims administrator looking at your application could be employed by your insurance company, so even justified claims are often denied at first.
A denial can be due to:
- Insufficient medical evidence such as a lack of regular medical treatment, adequate records, or a doctor’s statement
- Failure to meet your policy’s definition of disability
- Video surveillance by the insurance company that conflicts with your claim
- Missed application deadlines
Our free contact form below can help you set up a consultation so we can better assist you.